Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pills, pills pills

I take a fistful of pills and supplements in an attempt to stave off the meds that made me gain weight and be (more) depressed. They are:

Fish oil: 4 1000mg capsules, twice a day
Multivitamin: 1 horse pill, once a day. Keeps the scurvy and rickets away.
Vitamin D3: 2000IU, twice a day. It's hard for me to get sunlight that isn't filtered through a windshield.
Turmeric: it can't hurt, right? One pill, twice a day.
CoQ10: 300mg horse pill, once a day. Now that I'm trying to lose weight, it may start doing me some good.
Ginger: 2 550mg pills, twice a day. Supposed to help regulate blood pressure and prevent kidney damage. I have a friend who is in end stage renal failure and it doesn't look fun.
Cinnamon: 3 500mg pills, twice a day. I buy a Walmart brand that also has chromium. Supposed to help regulate blood sugar.
Kelp: 550mg pill, once a day. I don't use much salt, so. I want to be sure I get enough iodine.
Magnesium: 500mg pill, twice a day. Most people don't get enough, and if you're overweight like I am, you probably aren't absorbing minerals properly. So a little overkill here.
Potassium: 1 pill, not sure of the amount, once a day.
Niacin: 1 500mg pill. I buy the timed release Slo-Niacin brand. At one point I was on the prescription form, but it gave me the occasional flush. With Slo-Niacin I've had a couple flushes, but they were minor in comparison. Supposed to help regulate cholesterol, and I'm not going on statins unless they're forced on me.

I'll talk about prescriptions I used to take at a later date, and get a baseline for where my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers are in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment